When do we use or disclose personal information?
If we collect personal information for a particular purpose, we may use or disclose that personal information for that purpose. For example, if a customer obtains a product or service from us, we may use and/or disclose their personal information for the purpose of providing the product or service to them.
We may also use or disclose personal information for other secondary purposes including the following:
- where the individual has consented to the use or disclosure for the secondary purpose;
- the secondary purpose is related to (or in the case of sensitive information directly related to) the purpose for which the personal information was collected and the individual concerned would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information – for example providing marketing information to existing customers (unless the customer has requested not to receive marketing information from us);
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised under an Australian law or a court or tribunal order;
- a permitted general or health situation exists as defined in the Privacy Act; or
- we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure of the personal information is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties, such as our service providers (including IT services, insurers, financial institutes, mailing houses), member organisations and other business partners, our professional advisers (including lawyers, accountants and auditors), and government, regulatory and law enforcement authorities.